• magazine
  • entertainment
  • news
  • South Africa
    • Global Edition
    • Australia
    • Belgique
    • Brasil
    • Canada (fr)
    • Canada (en)
    • Colombia
    • Deutschland
    • España
    • France
    • India
    • Ireland
    • Italia
    • Latino
    • México
    • Österreich
    • South Africa
    • Switzerland
    • United Kingdom
    • USA
Blog Title
  • Facebook
  • adsfasdf
  • YouTube

Afghan journalists in exile create new media outlet to cover Afghanistan and the region

Daniel Stewart

2022-12-12
File
File – A man sells Taliban flags in front of the wall of the former US Embassy in Afghanistan’s capital Kabul, now covered with a religious mural. – Oliver Weiken/dpa

A group of Afghan journalists in exile have set up a new media organization called Chashm News Network, based in Norway with broadcasts in Farsi, Pashto and English, to provide coverage of events in the Central Asian country following their flight in the wake of the Taliban takeover in August 2021.

«As the voice of the people of Afghanistan, Chashm News is composed of a large number of professional journalists and experts dedicated to neutral reporting and publishing news from Afghanistan, the region and the world,» the media outlet said through a statement on its Twitter account.

It stressed that «the media in Afghanistan has faced many challenges over the past year» and denounced that «the Afghan people have been silenced due to extreme media censorship».

«As part of this critical situation, we consider it our responsibility to freely reflect the developments in Afghanistan, including the hardships and adversities it is suffering,» he said.

The media outlet has indicated that it has been created by «independent journalists in Europe, the United States and Afghanistan» and has detailed that it is led by Sharif Hasanyar. «At the moment, the agency is managed through the financial support of the founder and many journalists,» he reiterated.

Hasanyar was CEO of the media company Ariana, one of the most important in Afghanistan, a country where many media outlets have had to close their doors during the last year due to censorship and restrictive measures imposed by the Taliban.

The creation of Chashm News comes nearly four months after Afghan journalists in the United States launched Amu TV, while three other journalists based in Germany recently started Sicht TV to increase coverage of the situation in Afghanistan. On the other hand, Sheesa Media, founded by Aziz Royesh, is based in Canada and was founded by journalists in exile to cover political, social and economic issues, as reported by the Afghan news agency Jaama Press.

The Taliban, which announced the restoration of the Islamic Emirate nearly 20 years after being ousted from power by a U.S.-led military intervention following the September 11, 2001 attacks, has been criticized for its discriminatory measures and has struggled unsuccessfully ever since to gain some recognition and the removal of sanctions.

  • Six seafarers kidnapped after raid on Danish cargo vessel in the Gulf of Guinea freed
    2023-05-08

    Six seafarers kidnapped after raid on Danish cargo vessel in the Gulf of Guinea freed

  • US.- Seven dead after car drives into crowd outside migrant center in Texas
    2023-05-07

    US.- Seven dead after car drives into crowd outside migrant center in Texas

  • Mozambican Army takes control of Lake Inguri area in Cabo Delgado
    2023-05-05

    Mozambican Army takes control of Lake Inguri area in Cabo Delgado

  • António Guterres calls on Sudanese Army and RSF for safe access to humanitarian aid
    2023-05-03

    António Guterres calls on Sudanese Army and RSF for safe access to humanitarian aid

  • 20 of the world’s most impressive forests to get lost in
    2025-01-30

    20 of the world’s most impressive forests to get lost in

  • Ona Carbonell’s retirement marks the end of a sports career of more than 20 years and two Olympic medals
    2023-05-19

    Ona Carbonell’s retirement marks the end of a sports career of more than 20 years and two Olympic medals

  • Francis Montesinos, renowned Spanish designer, accused of molesting 15-year-old girl
    2023-05-08

    Francis Montesinos, renowned Spanish designer, accused of molesting 15-year-old girl

  • Facebook
  • adsfasdf
  • YouTube
  • magazine
  • entertainment
  • news
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • © 2023 Copyright News 360 S.L.